Fennel, Parsnip & Pear Salad
This perfect-for-winter salad is packed with whole grains and fresh vegetables and topped with a sweet, acidic, creamy dressing.
- ¾ pound (340 g) parsnips, ends trimmed, peeled if desired
- 1 (350 g) fennel bulb, halved, stalks removed
- 3 (425 g) firm d'anjou pear, halved, seeded
- 2 cups (360 g) cooked wheat berries [or barley, millet, buckwheat]
- 1 cup (240 g) 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, peeled, halved
- 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 6 (50 g) deglet noor dates, pitted
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, optional
- Place the Julienne Disc Blade into the Food Processor Work Bowl and secure the lid
- Place a parsnip lengthwise into the large food chute. Secure with the large food pusher. Start the processor and press the parsnip through to julienne. Repeat this process for the remaining parsnips, pears and fennel bulb.
- Remove ingredients from the Food Processor Work Bowl and add to a medium bowl along with cooked wheat berries.
- Clean and dry the Food Processor Work Bowl, then fit it with the Multi-Use Blade. Add Greek yogurt, lemon, dill, vinegar, garlic, dates, oil and salt to the bowl. Secure the lid and start the processor, running for 1 minute or until ingredients are mixed well.
- Pour over julienned vegetables in the bowl and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
- This recipe can be easily cut in half if desired, but makes a great side salad that is easy to put together and bring along to your next gathering or potluck.
- Freshly shaved gouda is a nice touch to this salad, tossed in with the other ingredients just before serving.