Harissa Spice Blend - Made In
Unlike some store-bought spice blends, you know exactly what goes into this one. Vitamix has the raw power to pulverize the toughest seeds to create this nice, not overly-spicy harissa seasoning blend. A quality pan like the Made In 10" Stainless Clad Frying Pan allow for even heat and toasting of these delicate and fragrant spices.
- 2 Tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 Tablespoons caraway seed
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 8 (50 g) guajillo chile pepper [or or similar dried chilies], stems removed, seeds removed if less heat is desired
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place cumin seed, coriander seed, caraway seed, black peppercorn and dried chilies into a Made In 10" Stainless Clad Frying Pan set over medium heat. Toast until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes, stirring often, before removing from the pan and allowing to cool completely.
- Place the toasted spice and chile mixture, and the remaining ingredients into the Vitamix Stainless Steel 48oz container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 30 seconds, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades as needed. Use immediately or store in an airtight container.
- The pepper stems and seeds in this recipe are removed for heat, however, they may be kept in if desired.
- Making a fresh spice blend like this brings you confidence that there's no stabilizers, fillers, or other ingredients you don't actually need in your spice blends.
- Try making small batches at a time to ensure your spices are used at their peak freshness.