New Age Cranberry Sauce
Fresh cranberries, golden raisins, and orange give this cranberry sauce its sweet and tangy flavor without adding any additional refined sugar.
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 4 cups (450 g) fresh cranberries
- 2 cups (275 g) golden raisins
- 1 orange, zested and peeled
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Place all ingredients into a medium size sauce pot on the stovetop over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15–20 minutes, until the water has evaporated and the cranberries have become soft.
- Remove from the stove top and cool slightly. Place mixture into the Vitamix Immersion Blending Jar or blend in the saucepot. Submerge the immersion blender below the surface of the liquid, or as close to the ingredients as possible.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 35–45 seconds or until desired consistency is achieved.
- Cranberries are naturally a very tart fruit. Most cranberry dishes call for lots of added sugar to balance them out. This recipe takes advantage of the natural sweetness of raisins, eliminating the need for extra sugar.
- Using the variable speed will adjust the texture from chunky to smooth.
- The golden raisins not only add sweetness, but also help thicken this sauce.