Sweet Potato Latke
This flavorful twist on traditional potato latkes is delicious with applesauce or roasted applesauce.
- 5 (675 g) sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 (180 g) white onion, peeled, quartered
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grapeseed oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 cup (130 g) Vitamix chickpea flour
- 1 egg (or ¼ cup flax egg)
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, optional
- Fit the Food Processor with the Large Shredding Disc and secure the lid.
- Place one potato at a time in the Large Food Chute and secure the Food Pusher. Start the processor a push the potato through the chute. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and onion.
- Place shredded potatoes, onion,1/4 cup grapeseed oil, chickpea flour, egg, water, and salt into a large bowl and gently mix together by hand until incorporated.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium low heat. Add about 1/3 cup (80 ml) of oil to the pan and heat until it shimmers. Place 1/3 cup (80 g) portion of potato mixture per pancake into the hot pan. Cook pancakes until golden brown (about 4–5 minutes per side.) Remove and serve immediately.
- To make one large latke, heat a cast iron skillet in a 205°F oven for 15 minutes. Remove and carefully add 1/4 cup of oil and spread potato mixture evenly over the skillet. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan and cut serving the bottom golden side up.
- Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of a variety of vitamins and minerals, including beta carotene, which supports eye health and vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports skin, bone, and muscle health.
- This dish can easily be made vegan by switching out the egg for a flax "egg".