Turkey Pumpkin Bolognese Sauce
Lean turkey and cooked pumpkin make this sauce an excellent dinner option, providing plenty of delicious flavors to complement your meal
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin oilve oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 1 large (250 g) yellow onion, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium (70 g) carrot, cut into large chunks
- 2 (80 g) celery stalks, cut into large chunks
- ½ cup (120 ml) dry white wine
- 3 cups (450 g) pumpkin, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 pound (454 g) turkey breast, ground
1. Heat a medium saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, garlic, and onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until aromatic. Add the carrots, celery, salt and pepper, cooking for approximately 5 minutes. Add the white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping to remove any bits of food from the bottom of the pot.
2. Add the pumpkin, thyme, and rosemary. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add vegetable broth and bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Cook for approximately 30 minutes.
3. Submerge the immersion blender below the surface of the liquid, or as close to the ingredients as possible. Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to Variable 3. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients until all large pieces are broken down, about 1 minute.
4. While the sauce is simmering, cook the ground turkey until just cooked through. Add the turkey into the sauce and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve as desired.
A fall twist on a classic dish, highlighting the nutrient dense pumpkin, loaded with beta-carotene. Enjoy this with an added boost of protein from the turkey, or try our vegan version!