Whole Wheat Pastry Dough
A multi-use pastry dough that can be used for other applications besides pies. Incorporates fresh ground whole wheat into a traditional pie dough.
- 2 cups (350 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (115 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- ⅔ cup (150 g) plant based butter, cold, cut into chunks
- ¾ cup (180 ml) water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Fit the Food Processor with the Multi-Use Blade. Place flours and salt into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Pulse 3-4 times to mix the flours and salt.
- Add the butter evenly over the mixed flours and salt, optional. Pulse 6-8 times or until butter has broken down evenly into small pea-sized pieces. Remove the lid and pour the water over the mixture.
- Replace lid and pulse an additional 12-14 times or until dough starts to come together. Remove to a piece of parchment paper and knead until smooth and pliable.
- Divide into two equal dough balls. Roll each dough out for a 10" pie crust.
Chill dough for 15-20 minutes before baking. If blind baking, bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. If filling with pie filling, bake according to pie filling instructions.
- More pulses may be required depending on how long you hold down the pulse button each time.