Berry Sorbet with Mixed Spices
Nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and fresh mint complement a variety of berries in this sweet and refreshing sorbet.
- 1 piece (5 g) fresh ginger root
- ½ cup (120 ml) cold water
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (150 g) strawberries
- 1 cup (145 g) frozen blueberries
- 1 cup (140 g) frozen blackberries
- 1 cup (140 g) frozen raspberries
- 2 cups (280 g) frozen cherries, pitted
- ½ cup (15 g) mint leaves, tightly packed
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260 g) ice cubes
- Partially thaw frozen berries for 10 to 15 minutes; set aside.
- Place water, ginger and sugar into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Switch machine to Start and slowly increase speed to Variable 8. Blend for 10 seconds until ginger is finely chopped. Stop machine and remove lid.
- Add berries, mint, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and ice cubes to the container with the ginger mixture and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- In about 45 to 55 seconds the sound of the motor will change and four mounds should form.
- Stop machine. Do not over mix or melting will occur.
- Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||½ cup (120 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
Berry Sorbet with Mixed Spices is rated out of 5 by 9.
Rated 5 out of 5 by PAGUY from Perfect Low Fat Dessert! I made this today and it was fabulous and easy to make. Afterwards I experimented a little more. Use more spice for a more seasonal taste otherwise go east there. You can also adjust your berry mix and major on the ones you love the most. Also, the less blackberries and blueberries you use the less darkened and more red the sorbet will be. Add a bit more sweetener if you have a sweet tooth, otherwise the taste is rich, healthy and perfect. If you want smooth sorbet with some chunks of berries, add a few more right after your four mounds and blend about 20 seconds longer. Have fun.
Date published: 2016-06-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by Conner from Great Tasting I made this recipe in my Vita mix. Did not have all of the ingredients but still this ice cream tasted AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
Date published: 2016-06-24
Rated 4 out of 5 by Bond from Awesome I love this recipe. I agree about tweeking the ginger and mint. Otherwise, this is great treat for big and little kids.
Date published: 2018-06-07
Rated 2 out of 5 by Grilling Sensations from Needs a little tweaking to your taste This recipe sounded fantastic and I think it can be if tweaked to your tastes. I found the quantity of ginger root and mint to be fairly overwhelming. Ginger root and mint can vary in potency so I would recommend adding it to taste as you go. Using the stock recipe I didn't taste much of the flavor of the berries. Texture and color were excellent. It needs at least 1 hour and preferably 2 to set up the portioned scoops.
Date published: 2017-08-02
Rated 5 out of 5 by Victoria D from Awesome sorbet!!! I have been getting to know this amazing machine and one of my favorite things to make is sorbet, I can’t believe in a minute what delicious dessert I can make!
Date published: 2018-04-29
Rated 5 out of 5 by cbrough from Excelent! Easy to mix and match whatever you have in the freezer and spice cabinet! I added extra ginger and a small piece of fresh turmeric root.
Date published: 2018-02-06
Rated 4 out of 5 by Wendell from Great dessert but unclear re addition of ice cubes Recipe in Step 5 calls for addition of 'ice cubes' but doesn't state an amount. The same recipe in my Vitamix recipe book does not call for addition of ice cubes. Made it according to the recipe book and turned out fine. Used less ginger (1/2") and fresh from the garden mint as per other comments. According to final taste, could have used more ginger but the amount of mint (5 g) was about right.
Date published: 2017-08-04
Rated 5 out of 5 by Yaniv from Great taste First time using the Vitamix and wasn't sure exactly how it should look and time wise, but it came out perfect. It has mix of wonderful taste from ginger to mint and all the other spices. Very good!
Date published: 2017-07-06